Macadamias add a luxurious Aussie touch to these delicious dishes which celebrate the flavours of the Mediterranean.
The traditional eating and cooking habits of those countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea are among the healthiest in the world … as well as the most delicious!
Adding Australian macadamias to Mediterranean-style recipes can result in a truly global food fusion that will keep everyone happy and healthy this summer.
What is Mediterranean-style eating?
The Mediterranean diet is one of the most studied in the world because of its incredible health benefits. Although not highly prescriptive, the diet involves eating plenty of plant-based products including vegetables, fruit, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices and olive oil. The diet encourages frequent intake of fish and shellfish and low amounts of red meats, dairy products and simple sugars.
Perfect for entertaining
Mediterranean-inspired eating isn’t just about what you eat, it’s about how you eat. It encourages communal eating, celebrates simple flavours and even encourages moderate consumption of wine.
Platters and share dishes filled with healthy dips, vegetables, tasty meats, olives and nuts are easy to create and adapt for different dietary requirements. This makes Mediterranean eating perfect for entertaining, celebrations and long lunches with friends and family. Add in the creamy crunch of Australian macadamias and you have a recipe for success.
Key ingredients for Mediterranean-style dishes
Mediterranean meals use plants to pack their flavour punch, so if you want to add a touch of Mediterranean delight to your dinner, try incorporating these distinctly flavoured plant ingredients into your meals:
Herbs like bay leaf, basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, or sage will also infuse your food with delicious Mediterranean flavour. Nuts, including macadamias, are also proven to make the Mediterranean diet even healthier, so don’t forget to include them when you cook.
Add Aussie flair to Mediterranean meals
This curated list of delicious recipes help you blend the benefits of macadamias with the best flavours of the Mediterranean! Give them a try today!
- Mediterranean vegetable and macadamia pizza. This veg-heavy recipe makes a delicious light dinner or can be served as one element in a long-table lunch with friends. All of your favourite Mediterranean flavours are in there, as well as the nutty crunch of macadamias.
- Baked macadamia feta. This vegan feta makes a great centrepiece on a Mediterranean-style platter or simply enjoy it with macadamia crispbreads and some macadamia pesto.
- Scorched honey macadamias with buffalo mozzarella and prosciutto. Sweet, salty, creamy and crunchy, this Mediterranean-inspired dish is perfect as a share plate. Serve with a couple of other veggie packed salads and you can easily feed a crowd!
- Chicken one pan bake with anchovy macadamias. Make this dish the centrepiece, add a leafy green salad and a loaf of crusty bread and you have a hearty, healthy, mediterranean-style meal.
- Garlic prawns or calamari with fried parsley, macadamia and lemon zest topping. Fish and shellfish are a key part of the Mediterranean diet. This recipe celebrates them by treating them simply, adding flavours like garlic, lemon and parsley. Frying the parsley adds additional texture to the natural creamy crunch of macadamias.
- Potatoes bravas with salted rosemary macadamias. Macadamias add a creamy crunch to the soft potatoes in this Spanish-style dish. It’s perfect for a tapas spread, with lots of small, flavourful dishes. Try not to eat all the rosemary macadamias in one go – they are scrumptious!
What are your favourite Mediterranean-style ways to serve macadamias?