Macadamia milk, tapioca pearls, black tea and sweet muscovado sugar syrup all combine to make this deliciously on-trend and refreshing summer drink. The bouncy, chewy bubbles bring the fun, while the macadamia milk makes this a perfect vegan and dairy-free beverage choice.
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar or muscovado
- 2 tbsp tapioca pearls available from specialty stores or online
- 1/2 cup black tea cooled
- 1 cup macadamia milk
- ice cubes
To make the brown sugar syrup
- Combine muscovado or brown sugar with ½ cup of water in a saucepan. Stir over low heat to dissolve the sugar, increase heat and bring to the boil. Boil for 5-7 minutes, until thick and syrupy. Set aside.
To make the bubbles
- Bring 500ml of water to the boil in a medium saucepan. Add the tapioca pearls and stir immediately for at least 1 minute. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring often, until the tapioca pearls are soft and to your liking. Drain and set aside in a bowl. Pour half the syrup over the pearls and allow to stand for 15 minutes – this also stops them from sticking together.
- To serve, place ice cubes in 2 glasses. Add half the tapioca pearls to each glass. Spoon the brown sugar syrup around the edge of the glass, pour in the tea and immediately top with macadamia milk.
Calories: 227kcalCarbohydrates: 55gProtein: 1gFat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 180mgPotassium: 95mgFiber: 1gSugar: 53gCalcium: 196mgIron: 1mg