Macadamias’ crunchy texture and buttery flavour make them the ideal ingredient for a crumble topping mixture, working well with any fruit you choose, but especially traditional green apples. If you don’t have ramekins, a medium sized ovenproof dish works just as well.
- 3 green apples peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 50 g unsalted butter chilled, cut into cubes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup macadamias chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place 4 x 1 cup ramekin dishes on an ovenproof tray. Place the apples in a saucepan and pour over the lemon juice and ¼ cup of water. Cook over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally until the apples are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the flour, butter, sugar and macadamias in a bowl and rub with your fingertips until the mixture resembles a coarse crumble. Divide the apples between the ramekins. Spoon a good heap of crumble over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crumble is golden. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
Calories: 411kcalCarbohydrates: 52gProtein: 4gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 9mgPotassium: 270mgFiber: 6gSugar: 33gVitamin A: 389IUVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 47mgIron: 2mg