These soy and ginger macadamias are ideal in any grain or vegetable salad, as is the dressing. The macadamias are delicious – you may wish to make a double batch and keep some aside to enjoy on their own.
- 3/4 cup macadamias
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2-3 tsp ginger finely grated
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 3 small beetroot golden and purple
- 1 small green capsicum
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander stems finely chopped
- 1/2 cup micro sprouts
- 1 tbsp ginger finely grated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the macadamias in a bowl and stir through the soy sauce and ginger to coat completely. Scatter over a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before chopping coarsely. Set aside.
- Cook the brown rice in plenty of salted boiling water until tender. Drain and set aside. Rinse the quinoa in cold water and drain. Place in a saucepan with 1½ cups cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes. Do not remove the lid. Turn off the heat and stand for 12 minutes. Remove the lid and use a fork to separate the grains. Set aside.
- Cut the bottom quarter off the asparagus. Fill a large shallow pan with water and bring to the boil. Add the asparagus, reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 minute. Remove the spears with tongs and rinse under cold water. Cut each spear into thirds and set aside. Using a mandolin, finely slice the beetroot, capsicum and carrot. Combine the asparagus with the other vegetables, coriander leaves and stems and set aside.
- Make the dressing by putting all the ingredients in a jar and shaking vigorously. Pour a third of the dressing over the brown rice, a third over the quinoa and a third over the vegetables. Stir through to combine. Layer the brown rice, quinoa and vegetables on a platter, sprinkle with ginger and soy macadamias and micro sprouts and serve immediately.
- Mix together in a bowl with wire whisk and serve.
Calories: 2864kcalCarbohydrates: 342gProtein: 67gFat: 148gSaturated Fat: 19gPolyunsaturated Fat: 15gMonounsaturated Fat: 106gSodium: 2287mgPotassium: 4146mgFiber: 48gSugar: 54gVitamin A: 14757IUVitamin C: 142mgCalcium: 430mgIron: 28mg