Macadamia farmer Wendy McClusky has shared her recipe for this yummy slice and says it pairs perfectly with a hot cup of tea and a good magazine.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 175 g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 cup macadamia nuts chopped roughly
- Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan forced.
- For the base, grease and line a slice pan with baking paper. Beat the egg and caster sugar until well combined. Add the oil and beat again.
- Sift and combine the flours and gently fold into the wet mix.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- For the topping, place the brown sugar, butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and heat gently over a low heat for 5 minutes until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer for 10 minutes without stirring. Keep the heat low and watch it carefully as it can burn.
- Add the macadamias and lightly stir to combine. Pour the mixture over the base, spreading evenly.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the slice in the pan before cutting into 12 slices.
Calories: 326kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 2gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 105mgPotassium: 81mgFiber: 1gSugar: 30gVitamin A: 384IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 1mg