The ghoulish and crazy macadamia eyeballs on these cupcakes will induce squeals of spooky delight! They look a little scary but don’t be tricked, they still taste an absolute treat for Halloween.
- 2/3 cup macadamias
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp beetroot powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 60 g butter melted and cooled
- 2 tbsp macadamia or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 180 g cream cheese
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 8 whole macadamias
- A black, blue and red food decorating pen
- A tube of red edible write-on gel
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place Halloween coloured paper liners into an 8-cake capacity muffin tin. Place the macadamias, flour, sugar, beetroot powder and baking powder into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the mixture becomes a flour-like consistency. Do not over-process or it will start to stick together. Coarse macadamia pieces are ideal. Place the flour mixture into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk together the eggs, butter, oil and milk. Add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine, taking care not to over-mix. Spoon into the cupcake liners so that they are ¾ full. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until puffed and cooked through when tested with a skewer. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and beat on a medium speed until the mixture is combined and stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. Do not overbeat or the cream will curdle.
- Use the food decorating pens to turn each whole macadamia into a bloodshot eyeball – black for the pupil, blue for the iris and red squiggles for the bloodshot veins. Pipe icing onto each cake and drizzle over some red write-on gel. Top with a macadamia eyeball and serve.
Calories: 508kcalCarbohydrates: 47gProtein: 7gFat: 34gSaturated Fat: 16gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 278mgPotassium: 199mgFiber: 2gSugar: 28gVitamin A: 848IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 195mgIron: 2mg