This recipe is rich in taste but spicy in style. Enjoy this with cream and berries to experience a true flavour explosion.
- 50 g macadamias unsalted
- 200 g plain flour sifted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 100 g butter cold un-salted, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp water
- 7 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup macadamias roasted, roughly chopped
- 150 ml thickened cream
- 200 g dark chocolate finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan-forced.
- To make the pastry, in a food processor blend the macadamias until finely chopped (be careful not to over blend) set aside. Blend the flour, salt, sugar and butter until they resemble breadcrumbs, add the chopped macadamias. Lightly whisk the eggs and water together and add to the food processor with the motor running. As soon as the pastry starts to form a ball, stop blending and wrap in cling wrap shaping into a disc and place into the fridge for an hour.
- Roll out the pastry between two sheets of non-stick baking paper until 3mm thickness and line a 26cm (10 inch) fluted removable base tart tin and trim the edges. Place into the freezer for an hour. Line with non-stick baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked beans or rice and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the weights and paper and place back into the oven for a further 10 minutes or until the pastry is golden.
- Reduce the oven heat to 150°C, fan-forced.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar into a medium sized bowl and whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Add the macadamias and chilli flakes and stir to combine.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium heat and just bring to the boil, remove from the heat and add the chocolate and stir until smooth. Pour over the egg mixture and fold through. Pour into the tart shell and bake for 15-20 minutes or until just set. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving with whipped cream and mixed berries.
Calories: 4438kcalCarbohydrates: 321gProtein: 83gFat: 323gSaturated Fat: 121gPolyunsaturated Fat: 15gMonounsaturated Fat: 167gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 1753mgSodium: 2697mgPotassium: 2807mgFiber: 44gSugar: 99gVitamin A: 5096IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 741mgIron: 45mg