Pronounced or-gee-at (with a soft ‘gee’), this simple sweet syrup has the subtle flavour of macadamias and orange flower. It is refreshing served over ice after dinner or with chilled soda water as a mocktail or aperitif.
- 2 cups macadamias
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar raw
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp orange flower water (or 1 tablespoon orange blossoms)
- Place the macadamias in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes to reduce slightly. Add the macadamias and bring back to the boil.
- Turn off the heat, add the orange flower water or blossoms, cover with a lid and allow to stand for about 8 hours or overnight.
- Strain the liquid through a fine strainer into a small bottle or jar.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.Serve over ice with soda water and mandarin slices.
You might also like to try this delicious Macadamia milk bubble tea.
Calories: 3085kcalCarbohydrates: 337gProtein: 21gFat: 203gSaturated Fat: 32gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 158gSodium: 31mgPotassium: 992mgFiber: 23gSugar: 312gVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 240mgIron: 10mg