Szechuan peppercorns have a unique, slightly citrusy flavour that works perfectly alongside the buttery richness of macadamias in this traditional Chinese dish.
- 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns
- 750 g chicken thighs chopped
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil
- 2 tsp macadamia oil extra
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 cm piece ginger finely chopped
- 5 spring onions sliced
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp sherry or Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander stems finely chopped
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 shallots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Szechuan peppercorns lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup raw macadamias coarsely chopped
- 1 dried long red chilli sliced thinly
- Heat a frying pan over high heat. Add the Szechuan peppercorns, reduce heat to medium and dry fry for about 4 minutes, until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and pestle or a spice blender and crush to a fine powder. Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl, sprinkle over the Szechuan peppercorns and stir to combine.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of macadamia oil into a wok over high heat. Add the chicken and fry, tossing occasionally for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in the wok, add the garlic and ginger and fry, tossing continuously for 2 minutes, or until lightly golden. Add the spring onions and stir to combine. Remove and set aside with the chicken.
- Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, sherry and honey in a small bowl. Heat the wok over high heat and pour the mixture in. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in the chicken and garlic mixture and cook for 1 minute to heat through. Place on a serving platter and serve sprinkled with macadamia topping and coriander leaves and stems.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat and stir-fry all ingredients, tossing continuously for 5 minutes, or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
Calories: 711kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 34gFat: 53gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 8gMonounsaturated Fat: 30gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 184mgSodium: 157mgPotassium: 744mgFiber: 4gSugar: 17gVitamin A: 568IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 83mgIron: 3mg