Healthy scones with buttery Australian macadamias topped with homemade chia jam and whipped coconut cream infused with macadamia nut butter.
- 2 flax eggs
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 4 tbsp water filtered
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil chilled in the refrigerator until solid and cold
- 1/2 cup whole macadamias chopped small
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 tbsp macadamia milk or almond milk
- 2 cups raspberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 400 g coconut cream chilled overnight in the refrigerator
- 3 tbsp macadamia nut butter
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (400°F) fan-forced. Line a 6”x10” rectangle loaf tin with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine ground flax and water, mix well. Set aside to thicken. In a large mixing bowl add almond meal, tapioca, coconut flour, baking powder and salt, mix well to combine.
- Add in chilled and solid coconut oil.
- Using a fork or a pastry cutter, “mash” the coconut oil solids into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs/wet sand, approx. 3-5 minutes.
- Stir through chopped macadamias.
- Pour in maple syrup and add the thickened flax egg.
- Gradually pour in milk, a little at a time, mixing with a wooden spoon to form a soft dough. Continue adding the milk if more is needed to form the dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, use extra coconut flour for this step.
- Lightly knead dough to bring it together. Slightly pat and flatten dough out into a round – approx. 1”-1 1/2” in thickness. Using a 2 1/2” round cookie cutter, cut out rounds from the dough to form scones.
- Place scones into prepared tray, leaving no room between each scones, they should be slightly touching each other. Repeat with remaining dough, using up any excess cut offs. Bake in oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden around the edges and slightly pale in the middle. Remove and cool in pan for 10 minutes. Gently remove from tray and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely or serve warm.
- Chia Jam – In a medium sized pot, add raspberries and bring to a simmer. Simmer for approx. 10 minutes until fruit is broken down.
- Stir through chia seeds and cook for a further 2-3 minutes or until jam begins to thicken.
- Stir through vanilla and remove from heat. Pour into a small bowl and refrigerate to thicken further.
- Macadamia Cream – In a large mixing bowl, scoop out the solid part of the canned coconut cream, do not shake the can!
- Using electric beaters, beat thick coconut cream for 1 minute.
- Add macadamia nut butter and beat for a further 1 minute or until thick and fluffy.
- To Serve – Slice through each scone to form 2 halves. Dollop desired amount of macadamia cream and top with chia jam. Serve and enjoy!
Store plain scones in an airtight container, refrigerated or in the pantry, for 2-3 days. Store cream and jam in separate airtight containers, refrigerated, for 3-4 days.
Calories: 4872kcalCarbohydrates: 237gProtein: 82gFat: 435gSaturated Fat: 238gPolyunsaturated Fat: 28gMonounsaturated Fat: 71gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 1438mgPotassium: 2713mgFiber: 78gSugar: 36gVitamin A: 93IUVitamin C: 75mgCalcium: 1684mgIron: 28mg