This simple spread tastes as beautiful as it looks. The macadamias impart a nutritious creaminess that is best enjoyed alongside crispy vegetables and crackers on a nibbles platter. Just remember to soak the macadamias the night before!
- 1 cup macadamias
- 2 cups water
- 2 beetroots medium sized
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 brown onion medium sized, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes*
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or to taste
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Place the macadamias in a bowl and cover with water. Allow to stand for 7-12 hours. Rinse and drain in a colander and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Wrap the beetroots individually in aluminium foil and bake for 30-40 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle meets with no resistance. Allow to cool slightly before peeling. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, reduce the heat and cook slowly, stirring occasionally for 7-10 minutes, until it is soft and slightly caramelised.
- Combine the macadamias, onion and remaining ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or a blender and process until smooth. Season to taste with extra salt if desired.
- Serve immediately or store in a clean jar in the fridge for up to a week.
*You can buy nutritional yeast flakes from health food stores or larger supermarkets
Calories: 1268kcalCarbohydrates: 54gProtein: 22gFat: 117gSaturated Fat: 17gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 88gTrans Fat: 1gSodium: 748mgPotassium: 1530mgFiber: 22gSugar: 23gVitamin A: 58IUVitamin C: 30mgCalcium: 189mgIron: 7mg