These bars pack the punch you need while out and about and are ideal because they travel so well. When it comes to fueling your busy body, macadamias are hard to beat. Naturally gluten-free, low in sugar, very low in sodium (salt) and low-carb, they’re a good source of the essential mineral manganese for healthy bones and joints. Macadamias also contain good amounts of thiamine (vitamin B1), which helps your body get the most energy from your food.
- 1 1/2 cups macadamias
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 10 Medjool dates seeds removed, chopped
For the fig and ginger
- 3 figs dried, chopped
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 3 drops ginger oil or ½ teaspoon finely grated ginger and its juice
For the cacao mint
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2-3 drops peppermint oil or ½ teaspoon peppermint essence
- 2 Medjool dates
For the sour cherry
- 1/2 cup sour cherries
- Combine the macadamias and oats in the bowl of a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the chopped dates and process until the mixture is thoroughly combined and comes together when pressed between your fingers. Place the dough in a bowl and divide into 3 even portions.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place one third of the dough back in the bowl of the food processor and add the figs, cacao nibs and ginger oil or fresh ginger. Process until combined.
- Remove from the bowl and place on a large square of baking paper. Form the mixture into a rectangle about 12cm x 8cm and use a metal spatula to flatten it and straighten the edges. Cut into 4 bars.
- Place the next third portion of mixture back in the food processor and add the cacao powder, peppermint oil and dates. Process until thoroughly combined and then repeat the shaping and cutting process as above.
- Place the last third portion of dough in the food processor and add the sour cherries. Process until just combined. Repeat the shaping and cutting process as above.
- Place all the bars on the prepared baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes, until their edges just begin to brown. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Calories: 247kcalCarbohydrates: 31gProtein: 4gFat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 10gSodium: 2mgPotassium: 321mgFiber: 5gSugar: 20gVitamin A: 57IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 41mgIron: 1mg