Muah chee is a popular street snack in Malaysia and Singapore and this recipe uses rich, buttery macadamias in the sweet, crunchy crumb to add a delicious flavour and texture that works so well with the soft, chewy dough. Perfect for a Chinese New Year celebration snack! Recipe created for us by Andrea Love | Dietitian & Food Photographer.
- 1 cup macadamias roasted
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds roasted
Muah chee dough
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil plus extra for coating
- 3/4 cup water
- Place macadamia in a food processor and pulse a few times to create a rough crumb, leaving a few bigger chunks. Place pulsed macadamias in a bowl and combine with the caster sugar and sesame seeds.
- To make the dough, add the glutinous rice flour, caster sugar and salt to a large microwave-safe bowl. Stir to mix.
- Pour in the macadamia oil and water. Stir until mixture is well combined, silky with no lumps.
- Microwave mixture for three minutes on high. Once cooked, stir for a few minutes using a spatula.
- Set dough aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- Oil a pair of tongs and kitchen scissors.
- Pick up pieces of the muah chee dough, snip into a formless lump and drop into the macadamia crumb. Coat pieces in the crumb immediately.
- Snip muah chee as you go and continue to coat in crumb to prevent pieces from sticking together. Enjoy immediately!
Calories: 1922kcalCarbohydrates: 202gProtein: 22gFat: 122gSaturated Fat: 18gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 92gSodium: 598mgPotassium: 653mgFiber: 16gSugar: 60gVitamin A: 1IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 214mgIron: 7mg