Homemade marzipan is so easy to make, and this macadamia version imparts a subtle sweet flavour, quite different to traditional marzipan. With a handful of whole macadamias and some melted chocolate, you can whip up these simple, healthy treats for Easter – with a crunchy surprise in the middle.
- 1 1/2 cups macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 cups soft icing sugar 200g
- 1 egg white lightly whisked
- 1 quantity of macadamia marzipan as per above
- 20 whole macadamia nuts about 40 grams
- 200 grams chocolate melted
- 20 small, edible Easter decorations such as bunnies or flowers
For the marzipan
- Place the macadamias in the bowl of a food processor and process to as smooth a paste as possible.
- Add the icing sugar and process to completely combine.
- Add 1 tablespoon of egg white and process to form a ball. If the mixture does not come together, add more egg white, a teaspoon at a time, processing well between each teaspoon until the mixture comes together and forms a ball. If it becomes too sticky, add up to half a cup of extra icing sugar.
- Remove the mixture from the food processor and knead into a log shape. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before using.
For the eggs
- Line a large tray with baking paper.
- Take 1 tablespoon of marzipan mixture and wrap it around a whole macadamia, using your hands to roll it into an egg shape with a flattened bottom.
- Carefully dip the base of the marzipan coated macadamia into the chocolate and stand on the paper lined tray.
- Add a decoration and allow the chocolate to set at room temperature before serving.
Calories: 3317kcalCarbohydrates: 331gProtein: 29gFat: 236gSaturated Fat: 67gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 153gSodium: 96mgPotassium: 1446mgFiber: 30gSugar: 289gVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 240mgIron: 14mg