A wholesome and nourishing harvest grain bowl filled with crispy roasted sweet potato and Dutch carrots, along with massaged kale and topped with honey roasted macadamias. All drizzled in a macadamia oil dressing. This recipe is perfect to meal prep for healthy lunches throughout the week or for a simple nourishing dinner. Recipe developed by Our Nourishing Table
- 500 g sweet potato peeled and diced
- 500 g baby carrots tops removed then halved
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup tri coloured quinoa
- 100 g curly kale stems removed, thinly sliced
Honey roasted macadamias
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 60 ml macadamia oil
- 40 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt flakes
- For the roasted vegetables, preheat oven to 200°C. Place the sweet potato in a medium size baking dish. Drizzle with macadamia oil and toss to coat. Spread out evenly across the base of the dish and place in the oven to roast on the middle rack. Follow the same process with the baby carrots and place in the oven on the top rack. Roast for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes remove the baby carrots from the oven and move the sweet potatoes to the top rack and roast for a further ten minutes.
- For the rice and quinoa, add the brown rice and quinoa to a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Soak for ten minutes and then rinse under running water until the water runs almost clear. Strain the brown rice and quinoa and return to the saucepan along with 3 ½ cups water. Bring to a boil and boil until at least three quarters of the water has been absorbed. Reduce the heat, place the lid on and allow to a simmer until the remaining water has been absorbed. This all takes around 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave the lid on to steam. After ten minutes, remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
- For the honey roasted macadamias, preheat the oven to 200°C. Add the honey, macadamia oil, salt and rosemary to a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Add the macadamias to the bowl and toss in the honey mixture. Pour the macadamias out onto a baking tray and spread out evenly. Place the baking tray in the oven and roast for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- For the kale, add the thinly sliced kale to a large bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon macadamia oil. Use hands to massage the kale until it is tender. Set aside.
- For the salad dressing, add the macadamia oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard and salt to a jar. Place the lid on and shake vigorously to combine. Set aside.
- To assemble the harvest bowls, divide the rice and quinoa between the four bowls. Top with kale, roasted sweet potato, carrots and macadamias. Drizzle with salad dressing and serve warm or cold.
Calories: 907kcalCarbohydrates: 111gProtein: 16gFat: 47gSaturated Fat: 6gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 34gSodium: 518mgPotassium: 1311mgFiber: 16gSugar: 19gVitamin A: 37478IUVitamin C: 30mgCalcium: 209mgIron: 6mg