Healthy and satisfying, this slice is the ideal take-anywhere snack. Take the full tray to meet up with friends, cut a piece or two to keep you going throughout the day or savour a slice in front of the TV after dinner. The generous macadamia pieces set among dried fruit is such a delicious and satiating combination, and perfect if you’re avoiding refined sugar or dairy.
- 300 g pitted dates roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ¾ cup macadamia nuts halved
- ¾ cup dried apricots about 100 grams
- ¾ cup small dried whole figs or large figs, halved about 100 grams
- Line a 20cm x 10cm loaf tin with baking paper. Combine the dates and coconut oil in a medium saucepan or frying pan and stir over medium heat until the oil liquifies. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until the dates are soft.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly or until it is not too hot to touch. Place in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Use your hands to thoroughly combine the mixture and then press tightly into the prepared tin
- Allow to cool completely in the tin before slicing to serve, or alternatively, just cut slices from the loaf-shaped block as you please.
- Store in plastic wrap in the fridge for 2 -3 weeks.
Calories: 231kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 2gFat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 3mgPotassium: 435mgFiber: 5gSugar: 31gVitamin A: 397IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 51mgIron: 1mg