This dish is simple to make but brings serious wow-factor to the table, thanks to the flavour and texture fusion of asparagus, macadamias and melty Gruyère cheese. Perfect for entertaining, be sure to include this on your next brunch menu.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp thickened cream
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 12 fresh asparagus spears ends trimmed and sliced in half lengthways
- 80 g Gruyère cheese grated
- 60 g macadamias roughly chopped
- Fresh herbs to serve (dill, parsley, watercress)
- Lemon wedge to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the puff pastry on the prepared tray. Using a small knife, carefully cut a 1-2cm border around the edge of the pastry. Prick the pastry base with a fork 4-5 times. Bake for 10 minutes until the pastry has puffed and is lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and press the centre of the pastry down using the back of a spoon.
- Whisk together the egg, mustard and cream in a small bowl. Fold in half the cheese and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the egg mixture inside the pastry border.
- Evenly arrange the asparagus slices across the filling. Sprinkle with chopped macadamias and the remaining cheese.
- Bake for a further 15 minutes until the tart is firm and golden brown all over. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Garnish with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice to serve.
Substitute any cheese for Gruyè Cheddar, camembert or parmesan would all compliment the other flavours perfectly.
Serving: 4gCalories: 580kcalCarbohydrates: 32gProtein: 14gFat: 45gSaturated Fat: 14gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 25gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 342mgPotassium: 232mgFiber: 3gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 725IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 245mgIron: 3mg