Whether you make your snacks at home to impress your friends or fill up your trolley to keep the cupboards stocked, macadamias will elevate every snack from simple to sublime! There is no shortage of delicious macadamia-inspired treats, but these distinctly Australian-style ones should be on your snack-attack bucket list:
1) Macadamia Mango Ice cream bars: The Weis bar is an Aussie classic. The original bar was developed in 1957 and sold from Les Weis’s own corner store in Toowoomba, Queensland. The mango and cream bar has been a best seller in Australia for 60 years but in 2004 this delicious macadamia and mango version was developed. Yum!
2) Raw macadamias cracked from the shell: The original and the best! You will need a heavy duty nut cracker to open the shell, but make sure you taste freshly-cracked macadamias at least once to see why so many people rave about them!
3) Lamington chocolate macadamias: With their choc-coconut coating and that delicious soft crunch of macadamias at their core, this moorish snack combines our native nut with Australia’s favourite cake in a moorish, can’t-say-no snack. We dare you to stop at one!
4) Macadamia crunch: The two distinct but complementary crunches of macadamias and popcorn (popped in macadamia oil, of course!) are united by a creamy caramel sauce in this snackable afternoon treat.
5) Lemon Myrtle Shortbread Bikkies: Dunked in tea or enjoyed alone, these fragrant shortbread biscuits are infused with the distinctly Australian scent of lemon myrtle.
6) Moon macadamias: Only the good people at Australian business The Source Bulk Foods would think to roast a macadamia in honey toffee then coat it in smooth swirls of both milk and white chocolate. Crispy, crunchy and delicious!
7) Macadamia chocolate crackles: Chocolate crackles are a feature of every Australian fete or cake stall, but our version includes the unique crunch of macadamias as well as the crackle of rice crisps. A sure-fire crowd-pleaser!
8) Pana Organic macadamia vegan white chocolate: Seriously addictive. You should try this delicious vegan chocolate once before you die…but you might find yourself going back for more! It’s also gluten free.
9) Macadamia seaweed snacks: The delicately balanced flavour of these seaweed snacks from Aussie company Phycohealth is surefire hit at any time of day.
10) Macadamia vegemite scrolls: Combine Australia’s native nut with our nation’s favourite spread and you have a certain winner! Classic flavours that you simply must try together.
11) Activated macadamias: Let someone else do all the work of soaking your macadamias to activate the enzymes within. This Byron Bay biz keeps all the work local.
12) Macadamias oven roasted with saltbush: Not your ordinary salted nut! Macadamias are Australia’s native nut, so it makes sense that they be seasoned with Australian native salts. You won’t regret trying this combination
13) Macadamia Dream Bars: Creamy, crunchy and full of fibre. This is an on-the-go snack bar that elevates the whole idea of eating on the run.
14) One Hour Out fudge: Made the old-fashioned way, this fudge melts in your mouth and keeps you coming back for more. Choose from two moorish macadamia variations.
15) Savoury macadamia butter dip: There’s no need to confine macadamia butter to the sweet snacks table, this deeply savoury version makes a delicious dip or sandwich spread. And it’s so easy to make at home.
16) Macadamia and cheese crisps: If you are whipping up a batch of the savoury macadamia butter, it only takes a few extra moments to bake these crackers to go with it. It’s a deeply satisfying combo.
17) All the chocolate coated macadamias: Australian chocolatiers Koko Black have so many deliciously moorish versions of chocolate coated macadamias that it is hard to choose just one.
18) Muddled macs on the BBQ: Make sure you try barbecuing a macadamia at least once in your lifetime. It sounds counter intuitive, but it’s the perfect way to roast them and combine other native flavourings at the same time.
19) Vanilla Happy Nuts: Roasted in their shells and infused with vanilla, this product literally contains the key to happiness!
20) Macadamia ginger brittle: Two classic Queensland flavours combine to make this distinctly Australian snack.
Have we missed your favourite, must-try Australian macadamia snack? Why not share it with us on our Facebook page?