The crust on the fish is an aromatic combination of Thai flavours enhanced by the buttery flavour and unique texture of macadamias. For a delicious vegetarian alternative, use the same crumb with pre-baked aubergine or sweet potato.
- 1/2 cup macadamias
- 1 tbsp macadamia oil
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 small red chilli finely chopped, or to taste
- 2 kaffir lime leaves finely sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or palm sugar
- 1 tspn fish sauce
- 1 tbsp extra macadamia oil
- 4 mackerel fillets, mulloway fillets or other firm white fish fillets
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the macadamias in a food processor and process to a chunky crumb. Place all remaining ingredients except the fish in a bowl. Add the macadamias and stir to combine.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of macadamia oil in a frying pan large enough to fit the fish fillets. Add the fish and cook on each side for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and season the fish with salt and pepper.
- Pile the macadamia crumb onto each piece, gently pressing down so the crumb appears to sit on top of the fish securely. Bake for 8 -10 minutes, until the fish is cooked through, and the crumb is golden. Note: if you have very thick pieces of fish, it may be necessary to cook them a little longer in the beginning, for an extra 1-2 minutes each side, otherwise the macadamia crumb may overcook.
- Serve immediately with a Thai inspired salad and coconut rice.
For a Thai salad
- A Thai inspired salad could include lettuce, capsicum, julienned ginger, coriander, Thai basil leaves, chilli, julienned carrot and radish. Make a dressing with equal parts lime juice and macadamia oil and a touch of fish sauce and coconut sugar to taste.
For coconut rice
- Place 1¼ cups of jasmine rice and 2 cups of water in a saucepan with ½ teaspoon of salt. Bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, reduce the heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 15 minutes. Add 250ml of warmed coconut milk and stir through with a fork. Cover and cook over low heat for a further 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork to serve.
Calories: 988kcalCarbohydrates: 11gProtein: 93gFat: 63gSaturated Fat: 19gPolyunsaturated Fat: 10gMonounsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 212mgSodium: 419mgPotassium: 2006mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 395IUVitamin C: 30mgCalcium: 128mgIron: 6mg