Get the family together and make this recipe your Sunday roast.
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup macadamia oil
- 1 medium brown onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sumac
- 6 dried dates pitted and finely chopped
- 6 dried apricots finely chopped
- 1 preserved lemon rinsed, flesh removed and finely chopped
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 cup macadamias toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup mixed herbs tarragon, thyme and flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1.8 kg chicken rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon extra
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin extra
- 1 tsp sumac
- Preheat oven to 200°C, fan-forced.
- To make the stuffing, place couscous in a heatproof bowl. Bring the stock to the boil and pour over couscous. Stir to combine and set aside for 3 minutes. Stir with a fork to separate the grains. Stir in 1 tablespoon of macadamia oil and allow to cool completely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of macadamia oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes or until softened. Stir in the spices and cook for a further minute. Add the dried fruit and cook for a couple of minutes or until tender.
- Add the dried fruit mixture, preserved lemons, zest, macadamias, egg and fresh herbs to the couscous and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the couscous mixture into the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together with cooking string.
- Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Whisk the honey, cinnamon, cumin and sumac and remaining macadamia oil in a small bowl and brush over the chicken. Roast the chicken, basting every 20 minutes with remaining honey mixture for an hour or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer. Remove from the oven and allow to stand covered for 10 minutes. Serve with roasted vegetables.
Calories: 4167kcalCarbohydrates: 199gProtein: 200gFat: 295gSaturated Fat: 60gPolyunsaturated Fat: 37gMonounsaturated Fat: 179gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 817mgSodium: 976mgPotassium: 3938mgFiber: 31gSugar: 86gVitamin A: 5784IUVitamin C: 124mgCalcium: 464mgIron: 22mg