This dairy free version of a classic cocktail sauce will take you back to Christmas Day in 1970! Macadamias thicken the sauce and impart a creamy flavour that works perfectly with the tang of lime and the bite of a little extra Tabasco. A modern take on a retro favourite.
Cocktail sauce (makes about ¾ cup)
- 1/2 cup macadamias
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3-4 dashes Tabasco sauce to taste
- 3 tbsp macadamia oil
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1 small lettuce like cos
- 12 prawns
- 2 avocados halved and sliced
- 1 tbsp chives finely chopped
- lime slices
- Place the macadamias and water into the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add all remaining ingredients except the oils, and process until pale.
- Gradually add combined oils until the mixture thickens. Adjust the flavours, adding more lime juice, salt or Tabasco as required.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, arrange the lettuce, prawns and avocado into tall coupe style glasses. Spoon over a little cocktail sauce and decorate with chopped chives and lime slices. Serve immediately.
Calories: 510kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 4gFat: 51gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 5gMonounsaturated Fat: 38gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 383mgPotassium: 630mgFiber: 9gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 855IUVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 36mgIron: 2mg