Mesquite powder is ground seed pods from the mesquite tree and is highly nutritious. Paired with the incredible nutritional profile of macadamias, this nutty blend makes a powerful topping for your breakfast – be it a breakfast taco or scrambled eggs.
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 tsp macadamia oil or olive oil
- 2 tsp mesquite powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or to taste
- 1 tbsp whole coriander seeds
- 2 tsp lime juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse 3-4 times, or enough to just break apart the mixture to a chunky, coarse crumb.
- Spread evenly on a baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes, stirring once or twice until the macadamias are golden. Allow to cool completely before storing in a jar or airtight container.
- Load your favourite breakfast flavours in a tortilla and sprinkle generously with the mesquite macs.
Breakfast taco suggestion: Load up soft tortillas with slices of avocado doused in lime juice and salt, coriander leaves, cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, sour cream and macadamia pesto or mojo sauce. For an added protein hit , add an egg omelette by whisking 3 eggs in a bowl, adding 3 tablespoons of water and ½ teaspoon of salt and whisking until thoroughly combined. Heat a little oil and butter in a small frying pan and add enough egg to cover the base. Cook for 1 minute over medium low heat, cover and cook a further minute, until set. Slide out of the pan and repeat with the remaining mixture.
Calories: 1065kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 12gFat: 112gSaturated Fat: 17gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 87gSodium: 623mgPotassium: 607mgFiber: 14gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 598IUVitamin C: 6mgCalcium: 158mgIron: 6mg