This simplified satay recipe is a showstopper! Using macadamia butter as an alternative to the classic peanut satay takes this crowd-favourite to a whole new level. Whether you’re entertaining at your next barbecue or as a quick and easy midweek-meal, this recipe will become a tried and trusted go-to.
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- ¾ cup roasted macadamia nut butter (180g)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- ¾ cup coconut milk (185ml)
- ¾ cup water (185ml)
- 6 boned, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2cm strips (approx. 500g)
- Bamboo skewers, pre-soaked
- 2 tbsp oil for cooking
- ½ cup ‘Qukes’ baby cucumbers finely sliced
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- Wedge of lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup macadamias roasted and roughly chopped
- Whisk together the red curry paste, macadamia butter, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar and soy sauce in a saucepan.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of the mixture and set aside in a large bowl.
- Add the coconut milk and water to the saucepan and place over low-medium heat. Stir constantly for 5 minutes until the sauce is smooth and fragrant. Set aside.
- Add the chicken thigh pieces to the reserved satay mixture and coat well. Evenly thread the chicken pieces onto pre-soaked bamboo skewers.
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan or grill. Once hot, cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes each side until caramelised and cooked all the way through.
- To serve, mix the cucumber, coriander, mint leaves and spring onions together. Season with lime, salt and pepper.
- Arrange the hot chicken skewers onto a serving plate. Drizzle with the satay sauce. Garnish with the herb salad and roasted macadamias.
Substitute chicken for tofu for a vegan-friendly recipe. Be sure to check the Thai red curry paste doesn’t contain any fish sauce. The satay sauce will keep for 6-7 days in a sterilised, airtight container in the fridge. Combine with steamed brown rice for a wholesome, balanced meal.
Calories: 442kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 35gFat: 29gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 332mgPotassium: 635mgFiber: 2gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 486IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 59mgIron: 4mg