Chef Colin Fassnidge created this delicious fritter recipe exclusively for Australian Macadamias. The macadamias add an amazing buttery crunch to a perennial breakfast favourite so leave them quite chunky for the yummiest results.
- 125 ml milk use milk of your choice
- 2 large eggs seperated
- 50 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 100 g halloumi
- 4 green spring onions finely chopped
- 200 g macadamia nuts finely chopped
- 1 birds eye chilli finely chopped
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- Maple syrup
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- For the batter, add the milk and egg yolks to a bowl and whisk together until the mixture is completely combined. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Place the flour and baking powder in an electric mixing bowl and mix while slowly adding the egg and milk mixture, until just combined to make a batter (do not overmix it).
- Add the halloumi, spring onions, macadamias and chilli to the batter mixture and lightly mix to combine. Remove the mixing bowl and add the whisked egg whites, one third at a time, lightly folding through as you go.
- To cook, heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat, and add one large portion of the mixture to the pan (about 1/3 cup). Cook for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown then remove and place on paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- To serve, drizzle with maple syrup and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
Tip: For light and fluffy fritters, ensure the batter is not overmixed.
Calories: 571kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 10gFat: 55gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 38gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 660mgPotassium: 236mgFiber: 4gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 213IUVitamin C: 12mgCalcium: 478mgIron: 3mg