One of the best ways to enjoy macadamia nuts is by creating a savoury macadamia crumb — a delicious and crunchy topping that adds depth and complexity to a variety of dishes. It can be used on fish, chicken and meats as well as vegetables. Here we demonstrate how to make a delicious savoury macadamia crumb with roasted cauliflower steaks – it is so quick and easy!
- 1 cauliflower large
- 1 cup macadamias
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp macadamia oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Trim the cauliflower stem, leaving the core intact. Place the cauliflower upright on a cutting board and slice it into 2cm thick steaks, making sure to keep them intact. You should get 3-4 steaks from one medium cauliflower.
- Add macadamias to a food processor with parsley, thyme, garlic, lemon zest and 1 tablespoon of the macadamia oil. Season with salt and pepper. Blend into a fine crumb.
- Place cauliflower steaks onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with remaining macadamia oil. Season well. Generously spoon the herb and garlic crumb mixture onto the cauliflower steaks. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender and the crumb topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the cauliflower steaks cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tip Serve the cauliflower steaks as a main dish or alongside your favourite vegan side dishes. Alternatively use fish, chicken or another vegetable like pumpkin or sweet potato.
Calories: 374kcalCarbohydrates: 14gProtein: 6gFat: 36gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 28gSodium: 48mgPotassium: 609mgFiber: 6gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 588IUVitamin C: 83mgCalcium: 85mgIron: 3mg