This recipe takes pancakes to the next level. Be prepared to play and have fun while cooking up a pile of these for breakfast (or lunch or dinner).
Chocolate macadamia butter
- 3/4 cup raw macadamias
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 30 g butter melted, for cooking
Roasted maple macs
- 1/2 cup raw macadamias
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- maple syrup extra
- To make the chocolate macadamia butter, place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Scoop the mixture into an icing bag. Alternatively, scoop into a zip-lock bag or small firm plastic bag and make a small snip across one corner. Squeeze the mixture towards the corner and set aside.
- To make the pancake batter, sift flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Whisk together the milk, eggs and sugar and gradually pour over flour mixture, whisking until smooth. Add melted butter and whisk gently to combine. Set the batter aside for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the roasted maple macs by preheating oven to 180°C and placing macadamias on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Pour over maple syrup to coat the nuts and roast for 10 minutes, or until golden.
- To cook the pancakes, heat a small non-stick or cast iron pan over medium heat. Add a small knob of butter and add 1/3 cup of pancake batter. Cook for 30 seconds before squeezing a 5cm cross of chocolate macadamia butter over the middle of the batter. Pour 1/3 cup more batter over the cross and cook a further minute, until bubbles appear on the surface. Gently flip the pancake and cook a further minute on the other side. Serve pancakes with cream, raspberries, roasted maple macs and extra maple syrup.
TIP: The trick to achieving a round pancake is to ensure the top layer of batter doesn’t fall over the sides of the bottom layer, or to use a small pancake pan.
Calories: 726kcalCarbohydrates: 83gProtein: 17gFat: 38gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 26gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 230mgPotassium: 472mgFiber: 6gSugar: 31gVitamin A: 281IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 200mgIron: 3mg