There are so many layers to the macadamia story. From cooking, health and wellbeing to people, gift ideas and macadamia country, there’s a lot to discover about this extraordinary Australian nut. Spend a little time exploring our latest stories. You’ll be amazed at what you find!

Home » Stories » Growing macadamias » Geoff Chivers

Geoff Chivers is one of Bundaberg’s macadamia pioneers, having planted his first trees in 1990!

The fifth-generation farmer and his family (wife Narelle and sons Luke and Ryan) run a 43ha orchard with about 14,500 trees. It’s one of the region’s oldest orchards and also one of its highest producing, a testament to Geoff’s attention to detail and commitment to best practice farming methods.  He’s passionate about recycling (the nut husks and branches are mulched and used as fertilizer for the macadamia trees) and his orchard is home to 150 native bee hives (native bees are used as a natural pollinator for macadamias).

After growing stone fruit, pear and apple crops for five generations in Victoria, Geoff moved to Bundaberg in 1985 to grow low chilled variety stone fruits. He diversified into macadamias after doing extensive research.

“While it seemed to be very capital intensive in the early years, we believed that, once established, labour costs would be significantly less than any other tree or vegetable crop, which has proven to be correct.” Now the Chivers’ clan are working hard to set up their second macadamia orchard in North Bundaberg. The new 40ha property was formerly a sugar cane farm and most recently a golf course! 

Geoff has loved macadamias ever since being introduced to the delicious native nut in the 1970s. “Friends of ours had a macadamia tree in Alstonville and would send a sugar bag of macadamias to our family each year. “I would sit on the back step, cracking the nuts with a hammer. I think I ate 75% of the macadamias, sharing the remaining 25%.”

Related Stories

Macadamia farmers Claire and Pat Wilson Grower profile: Clare and Pat Wilson Macadamia farm ‘Twisted M’ is one of the best performing macadamia farms in the Gympie (Queensland) growing region. It has been owned… Read More
Celebrating farming strength - International Women’s Day Celebrating farming strength and resilience this International Women’s Day Macadamia farmers Diane Cheal and Lisa Maclure come from very different locations and backgrounds but they certainly have a lot… Read More
Macadamia trees growing in Northern Rivers NSW Australia Where are macadamias grown in Australia? If you’ve ever wondered where the macadamia nuts you love to eat come from, we’ve got all the answers you’ve… Read More
macadamia farmer Michelle Ninness Grower profile: Michelle Ninness Michelle Ninness made a tree change to the Northern Rivers region of NSW eight years ago, and we mean that… Read More

Get monthly emails about all things macadamias. Yum!

Just pop your details

down here

Contact us

Sorry for interrupting, this website uses cookies to improve your user experience. Continuing to use our site means we’ll assume you’re ok with this. Read more