These fluffy macadamia scones are so good even Grandma would approve! They might even start a new family tradition. Best enjoyed with a pot of tea and good company.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 tbsp raw caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 60 g butter chilled and chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup milk plus extra milk for brushing – if preferred use buttermilk or sour milk
- 300 g pumpkin peeled, steamed and mashed to make 2/3 cup of pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup macadamias finely chopped
- Jam your favourite
- Thickened cream
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Sift the flour and nutmeg into a bowl and add the sugar and salt. Sprinkle the butter cubes over the flour and, using your fingertips, rub the butter in until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. You could also place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse to combine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, being careful not to overmix, and then place in a bowl.Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the milk, pumpkin and macadamias. Use a knife to stir to combine and bring the mixture together. Remove the mixture with your hands and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Gently knead to combine, adding more flour if required. Pat the dough into a disc 15cm in diameter and 3cm thick. Use a lightly floured scone cutter to cut 12 scones. Re-knead the dough to use up all the mixture. Place the scones on the tray so they are just touching each other. Brush with a little milk and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Serve warm with jam and cream.
Calories: 135kcalCarbohydrates: 19gProtein: 4gFat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 14mgPotassium: 147mgFiber: 1gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 2153IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 31mgIron: 1mg