A handful of macadamias delivers essential nutrients as well as an indulgent eating experience.
Macadamias contain a low proportion of saturated fats, no nasty trans-fats and are rich in heart-friendly monounsaturated fats, similar to those in olive oil. In fact macadamias are one of the highest food sources of monounsaturated fats. Health experts the world over agree we should be replacing the bad saturated fats in our diet with unsaturated fats like those in macadamias. The monounsaturated fats in macadamia oil give it stability and longer shelf life and it adds a lovely flavour to salad dressings.
Vitamins and minerals
Macadamias contain a wide range of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants – see the table below.
Just a handful (30g) of macadamias (15 whole or 30 halves) provides you with:
• ⅓ of your daily thiamine (vitamin B1). Thiamine is an important vitamin for releasing the energy from food, and necessary for normal functioning of the heart and nervous system.
• ¼ of your daily manganese. Manganese is a trace element important for antioxidant defences, bone health and normal metabolism.
• 12% of your daily magnesium. Magnesium is an important mineral for electrolyte balance, nerve and muscle function and bone strength.
• 9% of your daily iron. Iron is a mineral necessary for healthy blood and energy levels..
• 8% of your daily niacin. Niacin is a B vitamin essential for a healthy nervous system, releasing energy from food and good skin structure and function.
• 8% of your daily copper. Copper is used by the body for antioxidant protection, immune system function and healthy looking skin and hair.
Vitamins and minerals in macadamia versus daily recommendations:
| Raw, unsalted macadamias|| Per 30g serve|| Per 100g|| Daily Recommended|| Percent of recommended serve|
| Sodium (mg)||0.5||1.4||1600mg (SDT)||0%|
| Potassium (mg)||135||410||4700mg (SDT)||3%|
|Magnesium (mg)||39||130 ||320mg (RDI)||12%|
|Calcium (mg)||25.5||85||800mg (RDI)||5%|
|Iron (mg)||1.1||3.7||12mg (RDI)||9%|
|Zinc (mg)||0.4||1.3||12mg (RDI)||3%|
|Thiamin, B1 (mg)||0.4||1.2||1.1mg (RDI)||33%|
|Riboflavin, B2 (mg)||0.05||0.16 ||1.7mg (RDI)||3%|
|Niacin (mg)||0.8 ||2.5||10mg (RDI)||8%|
|Folate (µg)||3.3||11||200ug (RDI)||2%|
|Pantothenic acid (mg)||0.2||0.76||5mg (RDI)||4%|
|Vitamin B61 (mg)||0.08||0.28||1.6mg (RDI)||5%|
|Vitamin E1 (mg)||0.15||0.5||10mg (RDI)||1.5%|
|Copper (mg)2||0.23||0.76||3mg (RDI)||8%|
|Manganese 1 (mg)2||1.2 ||4.13||5mg (RDI)||25%|
|Selenium 1 (µg)2||1.1||3.6||70mg (RDI)||1.6%|
|Arginine 1 (g)||0.4||1.4||N/A||N/A|
|Plant sterols (mg)||35||116||N/A||N/A|
|Antioxidant Capacity (ORAC- umol TE)2||559||1695||N/A||N/A|
| Raw, unsalted macadamias|| Per 30g||Per 100g |
| Energy (KJ)||1016||3080|
| Protein (g)||3||9.2|
| Fat Total (g)||24.4||74|
| Fat Saturated (g)||3.3||10|
| Fat Monounsaturated (g)||19.7||59.8|
| Fat Polyunsaturated (g)||1.3||3.8|
| Fat Omega 3 as ALA (mg)||32.7||99|
| Trans Fats (g)1||0||0|
| Carbohydrate Total (g)||2.6||7.9|
| Carbohydrate Sugars (g)||1.4||4.6|
| Dietry Fibre (g)||2.1||5.4|